Sunday, December 2, 2007

What can my pizza teach me?




Anyone who knows me, knows that I have long believed that pizza is the perfect food. Hey, it has all the major food groups, right? It stands to reason that I would end up in New York arguable the pizza center of the universe (settle down in Chicago. I said arguably.) But something sinister is seeping into the pizza landscape. When I first moved in I noticed, and read articles to the fact, that most of the major pizza chains had chosen to avoid New York. It was a conscious choice made in light of all the fantastic corner pizza places throughout the city, most of which deliver.
So, why have I noticed more and more of the franchises throughout the boroughs and around my neighborhood? Why are the familiar pizza chains becoming a common sight here? There was a time no self-respecting New Yorker would be seen ordering from them. What is it that pushes people to turn to the familiar choice, even if it's not the better one? It's a mystery to me why the McDonald's in Times Square is always busy when there are unique, inexpensive quality options only a block or two away. This "strip-malling" of the city, and ultimately the nation, is something I've written about with my partners in another website, www.happyhourmobile.com, where we've seen our local pubs and taverns disappearing only to be replaced by more corporate, less original establishments (oh, to have McHale's and the Collins Bar back again...).
And why is this appearing in a blog about being an actor? Sadly, the same "play it safe" attitude has seeped into the theatre. Familiar faces, often from the world of TV and film, appear repeatedly. Artistic experimentation has almost ceased to exist on Broadway as large companies move in and look at the finances first and the material second. Not all of them are bad. Some are good. It's the variety, the risk, the thrill that's missing. The willingness to sample something unknown.
Well, they can't take my pubs. And they can't take my theatre. And they can't take my pizza. I choose to spend my time and money elsewhere. And I hope you'll stop and think about that before you order your next number four double-sized to go. Why have Wonder bread when you can have an everything bagel? Go on, be a Pizza hero.
I'm going down the street to get a slice at Brother's.

No comments: