Friday, December 7, 2007

Anatomy of an Audition


When last I wrote, I was preparing to go to an audition. The audition is now complete and I will give a rundown of what this one particular audition entailed.

As it was a chorus call (even though it wasn't just for chorus roles...there will be a separate entry just to explain audition procedures and terminology. It will be very long and most likely leave you more confused than when you began reading.) What this means is that one week before the audition a sign-up sheet appears at the Actors' Equity audition center. Interested actors sign the sheet and on the day of the audition the names are read out (you must be an Equity member in good standing) and you are assigned to groups of twenty for the audition. Often the lists contain upwards of 200 names. Not everyone will decide to attend the audition, which is fine. On this day I was number 36 on the list but, because of no shows, received number 11 for the audition. That meant I was in the first group. If you have a high number you can spend a good portion of the day waiting to audition. The flip side to that is that I had to sing loudly and very high at 10 in the A.M. Frankly, singers just aren't normally built to do that.

OK, so I wait my turn and after number 10 auditions, I enter as he exits the room and sing 16 bars, or measures , of a song appropriate to the show (this was for a show with pirates so the standard jokes about "16 baaaaarrrrrss" were flying). After singing, they asked me to recite a monologue which I did. In an Irish accent as that's what the show called for in this case. They saw something they thought might work in the show, so they asked me to return for a call-back three days later. I was also told that they would be teaching us a stage combat combination at the call back. I'm not trained in stage combat. I've done it on stage, but I'm not trained. I smile, say thank you, and leave.

The stage combat portion of my call back is canceled. I choose to take this as a positive, seeing it as meaning that I'm being considered for roles that will involve more acting and that I won't be passed over because of a lack of stage combat training. I could be wrong but my actor defense mechanisms have kicked in. Be positive. Do your best.

The morning of the call back arrives. This time I have an appointment time, which is easier than waiting in lines. Sadly, my time is 10 A.M. which is, once again, early to sing high notes. However, I enter the room, say hello, sing my entire song this time, and am asked to do a monologue from the show. I do it, once more in an Irish accent. After that, they ask me to do it again in a Scottish accent. Mental switch of gears and another reading. They are very nice, make note of someone on my resume that they know, and I'm out the door.

Everything about the audition went well. I'm right for the project; it has Irish and Scottish characters and I'm often cast in shows with that demographic. The musical style is right for me. They seemed genuinely pleased with me. However, they also saw hundreds of people for the project. So, now I do my best to forget about it (while hoping they call). If I don't get the job, I won't hear a thing so it's best not to dwell on it.

No security. Often no resolution. Just moving on. That's the life of an actor. That's my life.
I better go. My agent just called and I have another audition on Monday. Seriously.

No comments: