Sunday, March 23, 2008

You Never Know.


A few days ago, I went to an audition for a play being produced by a theatre for whom I've worked. The script was emailed to me the night before the audition, but as it was for a Sherlock Holmes piece, I felt comfortable with the characters and the play's needs. I decided to read the script quickly the morning of the audition to familiarize myself with some of the secondary characters. Whoops. All of the characters were listed as significantly older than I'd been thinking. By now, it was too late to cancel the audition. I'd requested it in the first place and know and like the people at the theatre. I left the apartment with a vague sense of unease.
Upon arriving, my worst fears were confirmed. Every actor there was significantly older than me. When the director popped out of the audition room at one point, she didn't think I was auditioning for her, I seemed so unlike the other auditionees. I discussed the situation with the theatre's artistic director, who is one of the nicest people in the business I've met. At one point, I even offered to forego my audition in order to save them time. She kindly insisted I audition and they handed me a new set of sides (pages of the script chosen to audition for a particular role).
In I went and auditioned. I had a great time and enjoyed my interaction with the director, the one person in the room I had not previously known. Still, I was fairly certain that I was too young for the role of the Scotland Yard inspector and left with what little dignity I could muster.
Much to my surprise, a few days later I received a call and an offer of the role. I was delighted to have the chance to go back to a beautiful part of New York state to work with people I know and respect on a play, which is much appreciated as musicals are where I normally work on stage. You have to show up to get the job. Once you're in the room...anything can happen.

That photo up top is where I'll be headed. Westport , New York. Elementary!

No comments: