Monday, March 17, 2008

What a difference a day makes.


Last Thursday, I awoke to head out to an Equity Chorus Call. It was my last planned audition for the week. Before you think that I was looking forward to a long weekend, remember: I'm unemployed at the moment.
At any rate, the phone began ringing, emails arrived, and before it was mid-afternoon, I had three auditions scheduled for the following day. One involved learning music that I wouldn't see until late Thursday night. Amusingly, none of them were very good "fits" for me. Let me explain:

Audition one was for a project that began two days later. They were, to put it mildly, having difficulty filling two roles. I was to audition to play an Orthodox Jew. I'm as Irish as they come.

Audition two was for a project that involved harmony singing. Sounds promising. I read further and discovered that the roles were for ages 20 through 25. Now, I've been told I look young, but...I haven't seen 25 in a while. At least three or seven years.

Audition three was for a workshop of a new show with a team of creators I have worked with in the past. I auditioned for the role of an angel. (No comments.) This one holds the most promise, but the fact that they've called the day before isn't a great sign. Possibly, they were doing a favor for me because they know me and my agent "convinced" them to bring me to the audition.

By now you can see how many variables go into the audition process and how impromptu they can be. We pretty much have to be ready for anything. It's a long slog to Broadway.

I'll most likely never have another day where I audition as a Jew, an adolescent and an angel. Sounds like the set-up for a punch line. Oy, my life.

No comments: