Saturday, January 12, 2008

Fighting the down time.


Acting is a constant struggle with yourself. To motivate, compete, learn, extend, refresh. It's not always easy and the ebb and flow can take a toll. Imagine being in the photo above, but without the super powers. So...for the last few days I've looked elsewhere for inspiration and you can see it in the posts here: graffiti that amuses, a political hot dog stand, anything to spark me out of a damp, gray, not-yet-wintry winter. These are the dark days of January, when auditions are scarce and it's easy to close the door and stay in your hole. The gremlins move in-- why didn't I get that job? Maybe they'll still call...There are no auditions. I probably won't get anything anyway...Maybe I'm not good anymore.

However, the importance of being alert and prepared came home to me a few days ago. Out of the blue, a television producer contacted myself and my partners about a project we've been shopping. It's a travel/history/pub culture show and he thought the timing was right to begin a push toward selling. No more wallowing in confusion or inertia for me, it was time to mobilize.

Now, a week before I begin rehearsals for the production of RAGTIME in CT, I find myself heading to Maine for a family trip, but now to catch some video of an historic/local/haunted tavern. It's exciting and intimidating and exactly what I'd like to be doing. I've noticed that as actors...ahem...age, many of us try to find new outlets for creativity and for giving air to their own voices. This is, in part, something like that for me. I'm just fortunate that it also is attracting some attention on a business level, also.

The next few weeks will see an enormous increase in activity. Hang on. Here we go.

No comments: