Wednesday, April 16, 2008

That time of year.


It's the most wonderful time of the year. Depending on your perspective. Nope, it's not Christmas, it's time for seasonal auditions in New York. In essence, an actor could fill every day with going to auditions for upcoming summer stock and regional jobs. (go to www.actorsequity.org and click on "casting call" to get a glimpse of what it's like).
I tend to be choosier in the auditions I attend. My philosophy is to select shows and jobs that I think are a) well suited for me specifically and b) attainable. Other actors adopt a "more is better" strategy. It's a personal choice, no right or wrong.
To date, the culmination of my auditions was a Thursday past when I had three call backs. Two regional jobs and a summer stock job. I spent the better part of a day hustling from on to the next, although lag time between them meant that a portion of the day was spent sitting in hallways and waiting.
I've been fortunate. Two of those auditions resulted in jobs. One regional job (BRIGADOON at the Fulton Opera House in Lancaster, PA) and LES MISERABLES at the Maine State Music Theatre later in the summer. Both are good jobs and I'm happy to have the offers. As always, I'm hopeful for some larger prospects out there that could alter my schedule, but that will wait for another day.
For that one Thursday, I hit 2 for 3. A good day for a baseball player. An even better day for an actor. I'm very grateful.

No comments: